Malton College of Medicine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesRegisterLog in

Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe

Go down 
+2
mere bystander
McThulhu
6 posters
AuthorMessage
McThulhu

McThulhu

Number of posts : 43
Registration date : 2010-01-27

Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe Empty
PostSubject: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:11 pm

or perhaps suggestions.

I really enjoy homemade mac and cheese, but the first and last time I attempted it, it turned out kinda sloppy and soupy. I attempted to make a rue, but the cheese wouldn't melt all that great, but I was just using shredded chedder like the instructions said. And i'm not the biggest fan of velveeta.

So, I figured you guys would be good to ask, for a new recipe (ironically I lost the one I used), or some helpful hints on melting cheese that tough to melt.

~M
Back to top Go down
mere bystander

mere bystander

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptyThu Mar 25, 2010 2:53 pm

Hmmm....
Well, I usually make a basic white sauce - which sounds like you were trying to do - but I don't add my cheese to the white sauce. I layer it in the casserole with the pasta, then pour the white sauce over top, cover and bake.

I'll see if I can find a recipe close to how I do it. I usually just make it without one.
Back to top Go down
mighty oak

mighty oak

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2008-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 10:31 am

Here ones! if you dont want to be a white sauce just buy it, if you do i can post a receipe for it later if you like?

add to the sauce (normal sized jar) 50gms gruyee, 25 gms mature chedder (for a stronger taste), and 100gm gouda, then add a few rasps of nutmeg and a little bit of cayenne pepper then mix with cooked pasta.

put half in the tray then add a layer of that plastic cheese that comes individually wrapped (trust me it works! Razz) or 50gm of one of the other cheeses we have already used, then add the rest on top and add another 50gm of parmasan and 25 gms of mature chedder then bake for 40 mins or till golden brown!

its a cheese over load so feel free to tweek it as I probably for a normal meal just had half the cheese I mentioned! this is for a special occasion all out thing though!
Back to top Go down
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/User:Mightyoak
mere bystander

mere bystander

Number of posts : 609
Registration date : 2008-10-23

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 1:57 pm

I make something like this: http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1750,155163-226202,00.html - but I don't use garlic. I do add a bit of onion sometimes, though. Smile
Back to top Go down
FuzzyWuzzie

FuzzyWuzzie

Number of posts : 711
Registration date : 2008-10-21

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptySat Mar 27, 2010 2:15 pm

mighty oak wrote:
Here ones! if you dont want to be a white sauce just buy it, if you do i can post a receipe for it later if you like?

add to the sauce (normal sized jar) 50gms gruyee, 25 gms mature chedder (for a stronger taste), and 100gm gouda, then add a few rasps of nutmeg and a little bit of cayenne pepper then mix with cooked pasta.

put half in the tray then add a layer of that plastic cheese that comes individually wrapped (trust me it works! Razz) or 50gm of one of the other cheeses we have already used, then add the rest on top and add another 50gm of parmasan and 25 gms of mature chedder then bake for 40 mins or till golden brown!

its a cheese over load so feel free to tweek it as I probably for a normal meal just had half the cheese I mentioned! this is for a special occasion all out thing though!

You have the SAE for those measurements? Ohhh... and the plastic cheese
that comes individually wrapped... is that American cheese? Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe Lol

I think I can swing the mature cheddar, because most of it's aged to a certain extent anyway... I like a good Wisconsin cheddar, with the red, wax, ring around it... I may give that recipe a shot... But if a bear "doesn't" s**t in the woods after eating it... I comin for ya, Tree Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe 143314
Back to top Go down
Amazing_Spiderzed

Amazing_Spiderzed

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2009-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 1:43 pm

I usually pour a white sauce over the noodles and stir them in it to make sure they are well moistened before they are baked. The cheese is just put on top of it.

As for the cheese, I have yet to find something that beats raclette cheese, both in taste and rate of success. It's a mellow cheese, specifically made for baking and roasting, so one has to try really hard to produce a casserole mishap.
As far as I asked the All-Knowing Trash Heap, it should be available in UK and the US. However, I have no idea how easy or hard it is to track down in the brick&mortar stores abroad, and how costly it is in comparison to more common cheeses over there. (But it's worth the effort!)
Back to top Go down
mighty oak

mighty oak

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 6:08 pm

Fuzzy try it you will love it!

Spidey we can get raclette over here but I think its more personal choice, plus chedder is the most traditional one to use!
Back to top Go down
Amazing_Spiderzed

Amazing_Spiderzed

Number of posts : 164
Registration date : 2009-11-22

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptySun Mar 28, 2010 7:11 pm

As far as "most traditional" goes, I guess that a lot of Swiss and French would heavily disagree Evil or Very Mad

If I had to stick to British cheeses, I'd probably rather try Cheshire. It's a more mellow cheese than Cheddar, so I'd expect it to work better for casseroles.
(Haven't tried either for anything but cheese toast, though. In my neck of the woods, they are only found in small, pricy packages that would run too expensive if used for anything larger-scaled, such as casseroles.)
Back to top Go down
mighty oak

mighty oak

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptyMon Mar 29, 2010 6:54 pm

If they have mac and cheese in swissland or frenchyville its due to either italytown or yankastan or even britopia's influence! I do not think they invented it and am pretty sure most recipes call for chedder!
Back to top Go down
Saralan

Saralan

Number of posts : 47
Registration date : 2008-10-25

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe EmptyFri Apr 02, 2010 9:25 am

Easiest Mac cheese ever. Especially for those who always burn white sauce. >.>
Back to top Go down
http://wiki.urbandead.com/index.php/User:Saralan
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe   Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe Empty

Back to top Go down

Looking for a Mac and Cheese recipe
Page 1 of 1