Malton College of Medicine
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortal*Latest imagesRegisterLog in

So, What are you reading?

Go down 
+28
Paul Leahy
lasherlaroo
Gale Stormont
Twotrees
Diana Warren
Raymond Cruz
chenrazee
october knight
Morrie
Joe C
Doctor Daddy
Malshun
chicklet
scarlet fox
Saralan
cynarion
mighty oak
Austin Hunt
Amazing_Spiderzed
FuzzyWuzzie
mere bystander
Cheese Knight
jay dark one
JLeeBly
Vilhelm123
MASTER ZOMBIE KILLER
HellFreeze
QBee
32 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
scarlet fox

scarlet fox

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-06-23

So, What are you reading? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 10:32 pm

day by day armageddon for the secound time

http://www.amazon.com/Day-Armageddon-DAY-ARMAGEDDON/dp/0978970772
Back to top Go down
chicklet

chicklet

Number of posts : 114
Registration date : 2008-12-14

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySat Jul 03, 2010 11:56 pm

I've been trying to get into Stephen King's Under the Dome as I've read nearly everything he's written.

It's not going well.

Could possibly be the worst thing he's ever written. I just ordered Lost Souls by Dean Koontz so I can't wait to get started on that. study
Back to top Go down
Vilhelm123

Vilhelm123

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 8:19 am

Just finishing
'Memoirs Of An Infantry Officer'
By Siegfried Sassoon
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/vilhelm999?feature=mhw4
scarlet fox

scarlet fox

Number of posts : 71
Registration date : 2009-06-23

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 04, 2010 4:35 pm

i need to start koontz's dragon tears, i've had sitting on my book self since november
Back to top Go down
Austin Hunt

Austin Hunt

Number of posts : 202
Registration date : 2009-01-08

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 12:13 am

Just finished Orson Scott Card's Xenocide, now reading F Scott Fitzgerald's This Side of Paradise. Tried to read the next books in Card's series, but sci-fi series have a tendency to drag out. I think I will come back to it later.
Back to top Go down
http://urbandead.com/profile.cgi?id=1440879
chicklet

chicklet

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 05, 2010 8:51 pm

scarlet fox wrote:
i need to start koontz's dragon tears, i've had sitting on my book self since november
I've only recently gotten into Koontz with the Odd Thomas series and the Frankenstein series. You have to let me know what you think of Dragon Tears!
Back to top Go down
Malshun

Malshun

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jul 20, 2010 2:48 pm

I can find neither the second Odd Thomas book, nor the third Frankenstein book O-o
I have read 1, 2, and 4 of the Odd Thomas series. Just got done reading Under the Dome in only two and a half days. I thought it was great, but to each his own, I guess. Reading Breathless until I can find Forever Odd or the third Frankenstein.
Back to top Go down
Doctor Daddy

Doctor Daddy

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 7:45 am

The on-going comic/graphic novel saga "The Walking Dead" by Robert Kirkman and Co - absolutely fantastic. I haven't had a chance to go through your forum pages yet but i'd be surprised if it hasnt been discussed here before!

On book XI of the Legend of Drizzt - The Silent Blade.

I've tried to get into Koontz on a couple of occasions but I have now made my peace and accepted that I officially hate the mans writing with a passion!!

I started on Intensity and then couldn't believe it when in a really fast paced and tense moment he stops to talk about an Elk grazing for what seemed like several pages and then had totally lost the tension he had built up. I didn't finish that one.

Then I tried, erm, Strangers i think and was determined to finish it. The one about the people who have black outs...my god what an anti-climax!!! Spoiler Alert coming up here>>>> So he spends absolutely ages and ages and ages going on about the moon through out the book. A characters obsession with it, they all saw it or remember it, he gives pages of facts about it, and then right at the end he goes...oh no, it wasn't the moon, it was the bottom of a space ship. The End.

WHAT???!!!!! Grrr, rant over (sorry - that must've been whelling up inside me since) lol
Back to top Go down
Joe C

Joe C

Number of posts : 521
Registration date : 2010-01-02

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 8:08 am

Yeah, The Walking Dead is amazing. Very Happy

Best writing of any sort I've read in years. You can get all the back issues as trades, if you haven't read it, I can't recommend it enough.
Back to top Go down
chicklet

chicklet

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 11:53 am

Just finished Lost Souls- book 4 in Koontz Frankenstein series. Took me all of two days to read it and all I can say is *shakes fist* HOW DARE YOU KOONTZ!!- make me wait another year for the next one!
*sigh*
Back to top Go down
Morrie

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2010-03-19

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm currently doing a re-read of the Anita Blake Vampire series, up to book 6 now.
Back to top Go down
october knight

october knight

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2010-07-21

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 4:54 pm

tired to read koontz's dragon tears i ended up putting a few rounds of buck shot through it, just could not get into it.

just finished day by day armagedon beyound exile and the zombie combat manual. beyound exile was great i really enjoyed it.

the combat manual is like the zombie survial guide but it focuses on fighting the undead, mainly with hand weapons, one thing i liked was it dealt with how to protect children, i thought that was a nice touch, also the sotry's in the book would fit easly into world war z
Back to top Go down
chicklet

chicklet

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 03, 2010 5:00 pm

october knight wrote:
tired to read koontz's dragon tears i ended up putting a few rounds of buck shot through it, just could not get into it.

just finished day by day armagedon beyound exile and the zombie combat manual. beyound exile was great i really enjoyed it.

the combat manual is like the zombie survial guide but it focuses on fighting the undead, mainly with hand weapons, one thing i liked was it dealt with how to protect children, i thought that was a nice touch, also the sotry's in the book would fit easly into world war z

HOORAY for World War Z!
Back to top Go down
Malshun

Malshun

Number of posts : 77
Registration date : 2010-03-27

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyWed Aug 04, 2010 1:23 pm

Wow... I tried Breathless, and it was (to me) an utter disappointment. That is the one thing I don't like about Koontz' books, is the flipping back and forth between many different characters. Not to mention one or two of the characters in Breathless were entirely pointless... Forever Odd was a surprise, and I was tense with expectation of the event he mentioned in Brother Odd. Also read Darkest Evening of the Year, with average enjoyment. The whole flipping between characters gets tiring, but at least they all tied in together tightly, unlike Breathless. All in all, the books I have read recently are only good enough (again, just my opinion) for me to just pass time with. Loving the Odd Thomas series, though. It's a shame I have read almost every Stephen King book available to me. There is only a few left for me to read, among them the book [of short stories] that had only 1,100 prints, Six Stories. Funny thing about that one is, all 1,100 copies were signed by King himself. Naturally, I'd have to pay a lot more for one than it's original shelf price of $85.
Back to top Go down
chenrazee

chenrazee

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2010-08-04

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 9:32 am

Currently reading 'No excuses!' by Commando Steve.

Other recent reads include:
The Sookie Stackhouse Novels by Charlaine Harris (on which the TV series True Blood was based);
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyer (authour of the Twilight series);
The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer;
The Road by Cormac McCarthy;
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.
Back to top Go down
Raymond Cruz

Raymond Cruz

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 1:46 pm

I am reading the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. About a solider who fights for the british army during the Napoleonic era. They also made a tv series out of it which is ok but the books are better.
Back to top Go down
Vilhelm123

Vilhelm123

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-05-02

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyFri Aug 06, 2010 5:19 pm

Raymond Cruz wrote:
I am reading the Sharpe series by Bernard Cornwell. About a solider who fights for the british army during the Napoleonic era. They also made a tv series out of it which is ok but the books are better.

lad.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/user/vilhelm999?feature=mhw4
QBee

QBee

Number of posts : 1027
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 07, 2010 11:09 am

chenrazee wrote:
Currently reading 'No excuses!' by Commando Steve.

Other recent reads include:
The Sookie Stackhouse Novels by Charlaine Harris (on which the TV series True Blood was based);
The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner by Stephanie Meyer (authour of the Twilight series);
The Twilight series by Stephenie Meyer;
The Road by Cormac McCarthy;
Snow Crash by Neal Stephenson.

Minus the Twilight series you and I have simular tastes in books. Have you read Diamond Age?
Back to top Go down
chenrazee

chenrazee

Number of posts : 59

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 08, 2010 1:51 am

QBee wrote:
Minus the Twilight series you and I have simular tastes in books. Have you read Diamond Age?

Not yet, but I'll see if I can borrow it from the library if you're recommending it. Thanks! Smile
Back to top Go down
Doctor Daddy

Doctor Daddy

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-08-02

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 3:16 pm

So I've just started reading 'The Raw Shark Texts' by Steven Hall.

Very good so far.

Here's an excerpt that particularly held my interest that I thought I'd share.

Every single cell in the human body replaces itself over a period of seven years. That means there's not even the smallest part of you now that was part of you seven years ago.

Everything is changing.

In the early days of my second life I noticed how the shadow of a telegraph pole would inch between the gardens of two houses across the street - from 152 to the garden of 150 - over the course of several hours, from lunchtime into evening. After watching this a few times I did the maths: the shadow movement from one garden to the next meant that both houses, the telegraph pole, the street, all of us, had travelled one thousand, one hundred and sixty miles around the earth with the turning of the planet. We'd also travelled about seventy-six thousand miles through space around the sun in the same period and much much further as part of the wider spiralling of the galaxy. And nobody noticed a thing. There is no stillness, only change. Yesterday's here is not today's here. Yesterday's here is somewhere in Russia, in a wilderness in Canada, a deep blue nowhere out in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. It's behind the sun, it's in deep space, hundreds of thousands, millions of miles left behind. We can never wake up in the same place we went to sleep in. Our place in the universe, the universe itself, it all changes faster and faster by the second. Every one of us standing on this planet, we're all moving forwards and we're never ever coming back. The truth is, stillness is an idea, a dream. It's the thought of friendly, welcoming lights still shining in all the places we've been forced to abandon.

Thanks for reading folks! Hope you enjoyed it, I'll let you know how the rest of the book pans out Smile
Back to top Go down
Raymond Cruz

Raymond Cruz

Number of posts : 20

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 15, 2010 3:19 pm

To get ready for the movie and I re reading Scott Pilgrim
Back to top Go down
Diana Warren

Diana Warren

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2010-09-04

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Sep 05, 2010 11:40 pm

Reading A Game Of Thrones.

Yes. Just now.
Back to top Go down
QBee

QBee

Number of posts : 1027
Registration date : 2008-11-07

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 4:29 pm

I'm now onto As Meat Loves Salt. Which I found through here;

http://www.richardandjudy.co.uk/home
Back to top Go down
chicklet

chicklet

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 6:44 pm

I am blazing through The Prince of Tides by...an author.....The movie was good but of course, the book is SO much better.
Back to top Go down
Twotrees

Twotrees

Number of posts : 184
Registration date : 2009-05-19

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 9:11 am

Just finished something light. James Patterson's I, Alex Cross.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: So, What are you reading?   So, What are you reading? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

So, What are you reading?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next